Traffic lights are one of the central measures for the control of traffic flow at intersections and junctions. The best possible control of a traffic node is of great relevance especially in the case of high traffic loads, when already small disruptions or poorly calibrated traffic control systems may lead to serious traffic congestion.
The evaluation of the right control parameters (including turnaround and green phases of a traffic light) for separate junctions can become an extensive task. Even different intersections may in principle be very similar, but the control settings of each junction need an individual calibration for the turnaround and green phases for the various traffic situations due to locally varying conditions.
ANDATA supplies control algorithms for traffic nodes (node control objects), which calculate the best traffic control parameters such as turnaround and green times, taking arbitrary control targets in real time for a given traffic situation into consideration. The control targets may be chosen freely (e.g. by a traffic operator or the police on the spot) or separate modules, with the help of artificial intelligence, autonomously determine the best control strategy for the relevant traffic situation.
Possible control targets can be, for example:
- reduced travel and lost times,
- reduced congestion,
- improved or determined flow rates,
- certain capacities and outflow rates,
- special traffic quality criteria,
- environmental criteria
or combinations of the above control targets including individual prioritization of certain traffic directions.
Features and Advantages
- Evaluation of the optimal turnaround and green times for arbitrary traffic situations in real time.
- Free choice of the desired control targets (e.g. minimal travel and lost times, maximum capacities, prioritization of certain traffic directions, etc.)
- Constant or automatic selection of the appropriate coordination plan.
- Module for the autonomous identification and forecasting of the traffic situation, (i.e. the traffic prediction is integrated in the control).
- Predictive control strategies for intervention before congestion occurs.
- Consideration of abnormal situations in the control system.
- Illustration of possibilities and reserves for the relevant coordination plan depending on the traffic situation.
- General and uniform interface for all traffic nodes by the free choice and stipulation of the control targets instead of the direct determination of the control parameters.
- Integration of arbitrary traffic sensors (real and/or virtual sensors).
- Integration and control of arbitrary actions (such as, for instance, information systems, Car2X-communication, etc.). The node control objects are not limited to traffic-lights.
- Independent of hardware, node control objects can be integrated and combined with arbitrary control systems.
- Simple calibration and extension according to a unified procedure.
- The basic calibration also suits numerous junctions and traffic situations.
- Radically faster possibilities of extension and adaptation with respect to new local circumstances as well as to new traffic loads and control actions.
- Auto-adaptive and self-learning applications are possible.
- Compatible with future technologies such as Car2X-communication.